The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 12 Nov 1859 1
The principal public works undertaken by the general Government throughout the interior are those of maintaining and repairing the public roads. The urgent importance of these works in developing the resources of the country, especially considering the great natural obstacles offered to internal communication, and the wretchedly neglected condition into which many of the old expensively-formed have fallen, has been recognised by recent legislatures.
Tenders have been invited for court and watch houses at Wellington and Gundagai, and for a court-house at Kiama.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The Sydney Morning Herald, Tue 21 May 1861 2
The passing of the appropriation Act during the past month has enabled the Government to take steps for carrying out the public works in the interior, authorised by Parliament, and it is probable that many of these will shortly be commenced.
A number of gaols, court-houses, and other buildings are in progress in the interior under the Colonial Architect’s department. Most of these are being carried out under a vote of £25,000, passed last year for works required by the establishment of district courts. A similar sum having been voted during the late session, additional buildings will shortly be commenced, the amount to be distributed according to a schedule. The buildings at present at various stages of forwardness are—court-houses at Grafton, Wagga Wagga, Tamworth, and Gundagai; gaols at Braidwood, Albury, Grafton, and Wagga; court and watch houses at Nowra, Ulladulla, Pambula, and Lismore, and watch houses at Penrith and Bowenfels. The police station at Newcastle is finished; a court-house at Morpeth has been tendered for a second time, and the tenders have been found too high; fresh tenders for a court-house at Nimitbille, [sic] and for additions to the gaol at Singleton, are being advertised for; and a contract has been taken for additions to the gaol at Gundagai; a contract has been taken for a pilot-station at Moruya; and tenders have been advertised for a mounted patrol barrack at Goulburn.
1 The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 12 Nov 1859, p. 8.
2 The Sydney Morning Herald, Tue 21 May 1861, p. 8.