Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c07/h03/mnt/178353/domains/unfitforpublication.org.au/html/plugins/system/gantry/gantry.php on line 406
1874, James Wilson - Unfit For Publication
Text Size


The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser, Tue 14 Apr 1874 1

(Abridged from the Weekly News.)
(Before his Honor Mr Justice Hargrave.)

    Tucka Tucka Jemmy, who pleaded guilty to a charge of escaping from the police, was sentenced to six months’ imprisonment with hard labour in Maitland gaol. A charge of murder against him was not proceeded with.

    John Wilson and Henry Lockhart were indicted for setting fire to a stack of hay at Barraba, the property of James Salter. The evidence was that the prisoners were, on the night of the 9th February, 1874, between ten and eleven o’clock, at Salters public-house at Barraba, drinking. They were refused drink, and then became abusive. They were put out with some trouble, and went away to the stable for their horses, Wilson saying to Mrs Salter, “Satisfaction’s sweet, old girl,” and to his companion Lockhart, “Come on, Harry, we’ll be revenged on the b––s.” They remained at the stable conversing in a low tone for about fifteen minutes, and then mounted their horses and rode away to Mr Cameron’s Inn, where they procured a pint of rum, and left. About an hour after they went away from Salter’s news reached Barraba that Mr Salter’s haystack, about a mile away from the township, was burning. Wilson was subsequently arrested at his own place; he said, in answer to a question, that he had left Barraba at sundown the evening before. Lockhart, hearing that the police were looking for him, gave himself up. Near to the fence of Salter’s farm, some horse tracks were found, and on comparison of these with the marks made by prisoners’ horses, a correspondence was observed. At nine o’clock on the night of the 9th, the stack was observed to be untouched; later on in the night, a man employed by Mr Salter, and sleeping near the stack, heard horses going through the water of the ford, then a rush of horses through the water, succeeded by the sound of horses galloping in the direction of Barraba. Presently a noise like distant thunder arose, and the stack was seen to be on fire. Lockhart was not at his usual camp on the night of the 9th. The jury acquitted the prisoners, who were discharged.

    William Henry Flynn, charged with larceny as a bailee, was acquitted under the direction of his Honor, who was told by the Crown Prosecutor that the Crown could not establish the charge of fraud. It appeared that the prisoner had, without any attempt at concealment, and to oblige persons in his neighbourhood, lent certain quantities of hay, which was to be returned. Part of the hay so lent had been replaced by the borrowers, and the remainder had been promised. The books of prisoner showed no attempt at fraud. His Honor directed the jury to acquit the prisoner, which was accordingly done, and he was discharged.

     John Batton, indicted for stealing eight bottles of gin, the property of James Reardon, was found guilty. He was minding sheep in the vicinity of the dray of a character named Hodges, and was seem by Hodges to go to the dray, open a gin case, and take eight bottles of gin from the case. He was drunk at the time. The Judge sentenced the prisoner to twelve months’ imprisonment, with hard labour, in Maitland gaol.

    James Wilson, convicted of attempted bestiality, [with a slut ], was sentenced to two years’ imprisonment, with hard labour, in Maitland gaol.


1  The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser, Tue 14 Apr 1874, p. 3. Emphasis added.